Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Great Outdoors

I decided to title this one: Socially Awkward Waiters Need Not Apply

I was fortunate enough to attend an impromptu Girl's Night Out last night with a few coworkers. We decided to try out The Great Outdoors since it's walking distance from my house and we don't have to fight for parking. My food was fine. Not spectacular, not horrible. (I won't speak for my coworkers but they are more than welcome to leave their opinions in the comment section.)

 fresh bread and honey butter-- the butter was very tasty. We compared it to the honey butter croissants at Hop's. I like to refer to those as Little Nuggets from Heaven. (I miss you Hop's!)

Gorgonzola spinach salad-- I would totally order this again. It had a light dressing and a generous sprinkling of gorgonzola. Mmmm.

fried catfish with coleslaw, maple baked beans, and gouda grits-- I'm pretty sure the baked beans were canned. I like a good canned baked bean, but I also like to pay the canned baked bean price. Ya know? The catfish had a good crust and a generous portion as well. The grits broke my heart though. No salt, no flavor, and where the heck was the gouda?? I loaded them with salt and pepper to make it a teensy bit more palate pleasing. I was expecting something amazing. Broke. My. Heart.

house sangria-- eh. It was okay. Not my favorite. It wasn't as sweet as I like and it came in a mug (a MUG for Pete's sake) so I couldn't just down it and move on.

Now for the entertainment part of the night: the waiter. I wish I had thought to catch his name. He was quite a character. Let's call him Weirdy McWierdFace. Have you ever had that waiter that likes to hover? Stands there looking at you for a few uncomfortable minutes after you said you weren't ready yet? Comes back to the table multiple times but says nothing for about, oh I don't know, 20 seconds? Takes the conversation to a personal level? (Did you know he is allergic to certain lotions? Or that he sees an acupuncturist? I did!) Grabs your plate from you because you aren't filling your to-go box FAST ENOUGH? That's Weirdy! Good ol' Weirdy. I think I made a new friend.

# of hairs found in food: 0
# of items that did not belong: 0
Flavor: some things were great, others were oh-so-sad
Price tag: pretty pricey
family friendly: yep
Service: who doesn't love a good "creep factor" in their dining experience? I know I do!
Atmosphere: clean, dark, a good place to hang out
Do it again? I may order the salad to-go a few times but I think I will just wait for the next GNO to spend that kind of money.

1 comment: