Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wahoo's Grill

 The kids and I were meeting Brian for lunch today so we decided to try the new place that took over MT's Chophouse. It's called Wahoo Grill. It is basically seafood with a burger or two thrown in there. It was a beautiful day, and we had a tired baby, so we decided to spare the other diners and sit outside. Our waitress was great and explained to us that they had only been open three weeks and were still working out the kinks. Great. That's just what I want to hear. To quote my daughter's favorite show: "Adventure Time!"
Here's what we ordered:

fried gator tail-- it had a good flavor but nothing great. I would say just a chewy chicken nugget. It was Dynah's first time trying it so it was fun watching her "test the water" with it.

kids mac and cheese-- I was pleasantly surprised to see something other than the blue boxed kind. It was spiral pasta with a white cheddar type sauce. It tasted pretty bland at first then had quite a kick we weren't expecting. Phoenix didn't mind it but I know my other two kids would have pushed it away immediately. It was a strange choice to use a spicy cheese sauce on a kid's entree.

crab bisque-- not too bad. Full of imitation crab meat (so it was pretty sweet) but it had a decent enough flavor that I would order it again on a cold day. 

Parmesan and garlic crusted oysters-- Poor Brian. He must be praying for God to give him patience because the poor man is thrown waaaay too many opportunities to show that patience. Based on the description, he expected steamed oysters, on the shell, with a nice crust of parmesan and garlic. Sounds pretty heavenly, amiright? Instead, he got raw oysters, room temperature, with a small crust on top. Barf. That's what it looked like, and that's what we wanted to do. That's quite possibly what he would have done had he eaten them. The waitress apologized and had new ones made that were cooked this time, and came out an actual temperature other than "sat on the counter for who knows how long". These were much better. We just chose not to think about how much spit, or other nastiness, was hiding under the crust. (Hey, I have seen Waiting once or twice. I know what to expect.)

Crab BLT-- This sandwich made me sad. The waitress said it was crab salad with arugula, bacon, fried green tomatoes, and dill aioli on a roll. Heck yes I am ordering that!  My bacon was burned. My arugula was wilted. My "crab salad" was a spoonful of dry, shredded crab meat sprinkled onto the bun. The fried green tomatoes were good, as was the aioli. Add a few halved grape tomatos. The End. 

I don't know yet what my vote will be. They are just starting out. The waitress was very helpful, apologetic, and thanked us for being honest because they can't fix what they don't know is broken. She was glad to know that the descriptions (or her understanding) did not match the actual plates. That is awesome to me...if they actually use that information to better things. So, for now, if you're feeling adventurous it may be just what you are looking for! 


# of hairs found in food: 0
# of items that did not belong: 0
Flavor: had everything been properly prepared, it could have been amazing
Price tag: pretty pricey
family friendly: not really
Service: great
Atmosphere: it was a weekday lunch trip so it was empty
Do it again? maybe in a few months, without my children

No comments:

Post a Comment